By default, Facebook Messenger users receive a notification whenever their sent message has been read. This is a rather useful feature that lets you know that the recipient has been notified. However, sometimes, read receipts work against you.
If you are wondering how to turn off read receipts in the Facebook Messenger app, we are here to help you. This article explains how to keep your read messages private on Android devices, iPhone, and PC. Plus, we’ll answer frequently asked questions about the topic, such as whether you’ll still know if someone has read your message if you turn off receipts.
How to turn off Messenger read receipts on the iPhone app
Unfortunately, there is no direct way to disable read notifications in the Facebook Messenger app on iPhone. However, there is a way to hide your online status. Doing so will disable the green light that appears next to your name each time you log into your account, indicating that you are available to chat. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch the Messenger app.
- Click on your profile icon in the top left.
- handle Active Status.
- Turn the switch to the side Show when you are active to me on location.
- Confirm by clicking turn it off.
If you are still wondering how to read that received message without letting the sender know, we have a solution. Follow the following steps:
- Head to the Settings app on your phone.
- Convert the toggle button next to a file Flight mode to me employment location. It should become green.
- Launch the Messenger application and open the necessary conversation.
- After reading the message, close the app and make sure to pull it out from the app drawer.
- turn off Flight mode.
Since Airplane mode disables the network connection, the sender will not be notified that you have read their message. Alternatively, you can use third-party apps meant for “invisible” Facebook messages.
How to turn off Messenger read notifications on Android app
If you are wondering how to turn off read receipts in the Facebook Messenger Android app, we have bad news – there is no easy way to do it. Facebook does not allow users to choose whether they want to send read receipts to senders of messages. Fortunately, we’ve found a way around it. Follow these instructions:
- Swipe from the top of your phone screen to the middle to access the quick settings menu.
- Click on the plane icon to run Flight mode.
- Head to Messenger and open the conversation containing the unread message.
- After reading the message, close the Messenger app.
- Tap the square icon in the lower right corner of your screen to view all the apps running in the background. If you see Messenger in the list, scroll it out.
- Swipe from the top of the screen to the middle and tap the airplane icon again to turn off Flight mode.
Airplane mode disables the network connection so that the sender of the message does not receive the message read receipt.
how to deactivate messenger without deactivating facebook How to turn off Messenger read notifications on a PC
Facebook users cannot turn off read receipts for messages. However, if you have a Windows laptop, we have a way around this limitation. Follow these instructions:
- Download Messenger Desktop app. The regular browser version of Messenger won’t do the trick.
- Log in to your Facebook account via the app.
- Click the Start button at the bottom right and type “Flight mode. “
- open the Flight mode menu and click the toggle button to employment.
- Launch the Messenger Desktop app and open the conversation containing the unread message.
- After reading the message, close the application.
- Go to Flight mode Menu again and turn the toggle button on.
Enabling Airplane mode works because it turns off the network connection, just as Airplane mode does for smartphones. If you don’t want to lose internet connection or you don’t have Airplane mode, you can use third party apps like Facebook is invisible. Here’s how to use it:
- Install the application on your computer. Once you do that, the app’s logo icon will appear next to your browser’s address bar.
- Click the application logo icon.
- Check the box next to Block Watching.
This is; Receipts for any messages in the selected Facebook chat will be disabled.
Additional questions and answers
how to turn off facebook messenger on android If I turn off read receipts, will I still see when others read my messages?
When you turn off send receipts, in apps like WhatsApp, you stop receiving receipts about other users who read your messages as well. In other words, it is an advantage with two ends. However, the Messenger app does not allow users to disable read receipts.
Enabling Airplane Mode or using third-party Do Not See Messages apps does not affect Facebook’s functionality. You’ll still see when someone reads your messages unless they use the same tricks to hide read receipts.
If I turn off my active mode, will I still see when others are online?
Although Facebook does not allow you to disable read receipts, you can disable the online status indicator. After doing that, other Facebook users will have no way of knowing when you are logged into the app. You will still be able to see if others are online unless they also disable the feature.
how to turn off facebook messenger active status Keep information confidential
Now that you know how to deal with the Facebook Messenger read receipt feature, you can avoid embarrassing situations and guilt for not replying to messages right away. If you are using third party apps for unread messages, be sure to read reviews before installing and don’t download anything from unread websites. Hopefully, Facebook will allow users to disable read receipts at some point in the future.
What feature are you really missing from the Facebook Messenger app? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.