Video comments are an essential access tool for deaf and hard of hearing people. In addition, they can be very useful in cases where users cannot hear or use the audio of the video. However, not everyone needs this feature. Moreover, many people find the captions annoying as they can block parts of the video they are watching. Fortunately, the app made it easy to turn off captions if they weren’t helpful to you.
Keep reading to learn how to turn off TikTok captions.
How to turn off TikTok Captions on Android device
The captions that are automatically generated can be inaccurate at times, which makes them more distracting than useful. If this is the case, you can turn off captions on the video you’re watching in two simple steps.
- Click on the captions.
- Click on Hide Caption.
After that, the video will continue to play with no captions in sight. However, you will see a small rectangle in the corner of the screen. If you change your mind and want to turn the captions back on, just click the rectangle.
Some users reported that they were unable to turn off captions on the video directly. If so, the only way to get rid of captions is to turn them off in the app settings. Note, however, that this will turn off captions across the app, not just on the particular video you’re watching.
Follow these steps to turn off automatically generated captions on all TikTok videos:
- Tap the “Profile” icon in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Click on the menu icon at the top right.
- Select “Settings & Privacy” from the popup menu.
- Scroll down to “Accessibility” under “Content and Activity”.
- Turn off the “Always show captions” option.
Now you don’t have to turn off captions on every video you watch. But, you will still be able to see the rectangle indicating that the video has captions.
How to turn off TikTok Captions on iPhone
Auto captions can come in handy when you have to scroll through the “For You” TikTok page with the audio turned off. However, when the volume is turned up and on, the captions may get in the way of an important part of the video. To turn off captions, simply do the following:
- Click on the gray text box that contains the captions.
- Select “Hide translation”.
The captions will disappear from the screen, leaving a smaller gray box behind. To turn the captions back on, simply click on this box.
Hiding captions on a particular video may prevent them when you keep scrolling through the content. But once you leave the app and come back in, you’ll see the captions again. If you want to turn off captions completely, do the following:
- Click on the “Profile” icon in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Press the menu button at the top right.
- From the menu that pops up, choose “Settings and privacy.”
- Go to the “Content and Activity” tab.
- Click on “Accessibility”.
- Disable the “Always show automatically generated captions” option.
How to turn off TikTok Captions on PC
tik tok web client It is a great alternative way to enjoy unlimited fun short videos on the platform. However, the website version of TikTok does not have all the features that the mobile application has.
Among other things, you cannot turn off automatically generated captions for all videos on PC. However, you can turn it off for the video you are currently watching. Here’s what to do:
- Click on Captions.
- Select “Hide translation”.
Now you can continue browsing your For You page without any distraction.
How to turn off TikTok Captions on iPad
While many people find TikTok captions necessary or useful, not everyone is a fan of it. If the captions are doing more harm than good to you, you can simply disable them.
When watching a TikTok video with it written on it, do the following:
- Tap on one of the captions as it appears on the screen.
- Click the “Hide Comments” bubble above the comments.
Comments will now disappear, turning into a small rectangle on the side of the video. You can re-enable captions at any time by clicking on this rectangle.
You may have trouble turning off captions this way. Alternatively, you may want to turn off the captions for each video, not the one you just watched. Fortunately, there is a simple way to do this.
- Click on the “Profile” icon at the bottom right.
- Click on the menu button at the top right.
- Click “Settings and privacy” on the pop-up menu.
- Scroll to the “Content and Activity” tab.
- Select “Accessibility”.
- Turn off the “Always show automatically generated captions” option.
Every step towards inclusivity and accessibility is a step in the right direction. Therefore, the caption feature is undoubtedly a welcome addition to TikTok. Users who don’t need this feature can quickly turn it off, either in the accompanying video itself or through the app’s settings.
Have you tried turning off captions on TikTok? Which method did you use? Let us know in the comments section below.