How to recover deleted messages from Snapchat One of the features that pushed social media users to Snapchat is Snapchat Auto Delete Messages. When the sender and receiver leave the chat, all messages are deleted. Users often feel that their messages are more secure because they disappear quickly. Often times, deleting messages is not a big deal because we know that they will only be around for a short time on the platform.
However, there are times when you might want to retrieve those old messages. It can be a memorable conversation with a loved one, contact details of a client, or even information that may be useful in legal matters. You can set Snapchat to save messages for 24 hours if desired, and you can also save them to Chat Media.
So, how do you get those old messages back? In this guide, you will see how to recover deleted messages on Snapchat.
Why is it more difficult to retrieve messages in Snapchat?
Snapchat has been at the forefront of giving social media users more control over the content they send, including text, photos and videos. The platform is one of the few social media platforms that use temporary messaging. But what is this?
Ephemeral messages are a kind of self-destructive chat or conversation. Messages are automatically deleted after the recipient has opened and viewed them.
With temporary messages, you can control how long a message will stay in someone’s inbox. It’s a feature not found in most texting or chatting platforms. These messages allow users to send ideas that they may keep to themselves out of concern that these messages will be leaked.
Plus, sending self-destructing messages means you can free up storage space on your device. You don’t have to manually delete items every few days to free up space and keep your device running at its optimum.
On the downside, ephemeral messages from Snapchat mean that you can lose valuable data as quickly as you receive it. There may be messages that you want to keep longer. It could be anything from memorable photos and catchy text to work progress reports.
Although the Snapchat app does not provide a way to retrieve these messages from within your conversations, you can easily get your hands on those deleted messages, thanks to some workarounds. However, some messages cannot be retrieved, depending on how long it has been since they were sent. Of course, you can also save your chats to keep them, so you don’t have to work hard to get them back later.
Let’s dive in and see how you can recover deleted messages depending on the device you are using.
How to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages from Android Phone
If you own an Android device, you can recover deleted Snapchat messages in several ways:
Method 1: Open Your Device Cache Using a PC (Windows/Mac/Linux)
Before trying anything complicated, you might want to use the recovery tools built into Android.
When you close Snapchat or any other app on your phone, Android devices are programmed to immediately discard recent memory, and you’ll have to reload the app to get it working again. This procedure can be time consuming if your data connection is insufficient, resulting in delays, screen freezes, crashes, power issues, etc. Your phone caches some content for quick access to avoid these problems.
Android cache holds recently used data or “hot” data that would otherwise require slow recovery from a very crowded storage medium. It also stores information that is not frequently accessed near the CPU, where it is more easily available for immediate access. Most importantly, Snapchat messages are cached temporarily after you delete them in your chats.
Our goal here is to recover your messages from cache bank. Here’s how to recover deleted messages from your device’s cache:
- Connect your Android device to a computer using a USB cable.
- Once your computer recognizes your device, open a file device folder and go to “Android.”
- Click “Data.”
- Find the file named and click on it “com.snapchat.android”
- open the “cache” folder and select file “Messages” you wish to recover.
- Click “Recover”.
After taking these steps, you can restore and view your messages. but, You can only restore the latest messages using this method. Old cached data is discarded over time.
Method 2: Open Device Cache with Android
If you don’t have a computer, you can still recover deleted messages from your phone’s internal memory using a file browser, such as Google Files. Here’s how:
- to open “files” (Google’s pre-installed file manager), or choose a third-party file explorer.
- When using a file “files” Application, scroll down and tap Internal storage.
- Go to “Android -> Data -> com.snapchat.android” direct path.
- Rename all files with the extension No arguments. extension. Don’t add a new extension yet. If this process fails to locate the file or folder, try adding one, such as “.txt,” “.jpg,” or “.mp4.”
Browse the files that appear to find your lost Snapchat messages. If no files appear, Your operating system has already emptied the cached files.
Method 3: Request Snapchat data
Snapchat understands that you may want to view some of your messages after they have been deleted automatically. Therefore, they have set up a data recovery page where you can easily recover all kinds of data exchanged through your account, including photos, texts, and videos.
Here is how to use a Snapchat data recovery tool to recover your messages:
- Visit Snapchat “My profile“ And enter your credentials.
- After logging in, you should be automatically redirected to the My Data page.
- Scroll down and tap “Submission of the application.”
- You will then receive an email with a link to access your Snapchat data – usually in a zip format. Click the link and download your data.
- Right-click on the downloaded zip file and choose extract it. Depending on the compression software used, the options vary.
- Navigate to the folder containing the extracted files and open a file named “My data.”
- select file index.html file. You will now be able to view all deleted Snapchat messages.
Method 4: Using third-party recovery tools
If you don’t want to recover your Snapchat messages using manual methods, there are third-party apps that can do all the work for you. Although there are many options to choose from, such as Android data recovery toolAll of them serve the same purpose. However, most recovery tools, like this one, require payment to recover the data they find.
- Download and install Android Data Recovery on your computer.
- Run the program and click “Data recovery.”
- Connect your Android device to your computer.
- After the program detects your Android device, you will see a list of the types of data you wish to recover displayed on the screen.
- Check the box next to “Messages” and click “next one.”
- Choose “Restore all files” and click “next one” once again.
- At this point, the software scans your device for all deleted messages and then displays all recoverable data. All you have to do is click “Recovery” Next to an item to restore and save it to your computer.
Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages Using iPhone
There is no built-in way to get deleted Snapchat messages on iPhone/iOS devices, especially since “.nomedia” is an Android-based feature to tell other apps to ignore the file. Regardless, you can use third-party tools to recover deleted snapshots on iOS. Although there are many alternatives, we will look at two of the most popular: FoneLab and iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery.
#1. Use FoneLab to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages on iOS/iPhone
FoneLab Studio first launched FoneLab to help iPhone users recover their data from a broken or broken phone. It now offers a wide range of different services, including data repair, file backup services, and anything file-related with Apple devices. This application not only provides an annual subscription, but also a lifetime license, unlike other applications.
Here is how you can use this tool to recover lost Snapchat messages:
- Download and install “FoneLab“ on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Once the program detects your device, click “start scanning” button on your iPhone screen. The recovery process begins.
- Once the scan is complete, all recoverable items appear on your screen. Choose Snapchat Messages.
- Individually select the messages you want to recover and tap on them “Recovery.”
- Select the destination folder Then wait for the program to retrieve your messages.
Method 2: Using iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery
iBeesoft iPhone Data Recovery is a professional iOS data recovery software for all Apple mobile devices. It quickly retrieves photos, messages, contacts, text notes, videos, and more. There are many paid options to save the lost data that is found. Here’s how to use the software to recover your snapshots:
- Download and install the . file iBeesoft Phone Data Recovery On your Windows PC. The Mac version link is also available below the download button.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Once the program detects your device, click “Recover from iOS Device” to start the recovery process.
- Click “Survey” For confirmation.
- Once the scan is complete, all recoverable items will be sorted into categories and displayed on your screen.
- Choose Snapchat Messages Then click “Recovery.”
- You can also recover data from iTunes or iCloud backups. You must select the required source while starting the recovery process, such as “Recover from iTunes.”
In conclusion, both built-in tools and external tools can help you if you have deleted a Snapchat message and want to recover it. However, it is crucial to choose a reliable tool that will not corrupt your messages or even harm the rest of the data on your device. Don’t forget that third-party tools generally require payment to recover your lost data. However, the examination is free. On the other hand, you can try the manual ways to recover Snapchat messages and not pay a penny at all!