Since the TikTok craze started, users can’t stay away from the platform. Everyone needs to fix tips, crazy videos, funny memes, etc. But like anything else in the digital space, TikTok is far from perfect.
Sometimes it does not work, and even if it is for a few minutes, it is enough to piss off most of the users. If you are having problems, the tips in this article may help you fix TikTok issues faster.
Why is My TikTok not working?
Many users face issues ranging from slow loading time to app not loading at all.
TikTok app may load slowly if you are still using an old version. Unfortunately, this also means that you won’t be able to watch your favorite funny videos or get a quick dose of entertainment and relaxation before you have to start working again.
TikTok releases new updates regularly to introduce new features and fix bugs. If your app version is not working, it might be a bug that was fixed in an update. Here’s how to check for updates on your phone.
- Go to Google PlayStore.
- Click on “Manage apps and devices.”
- Click on Updates Available.
- You have the latest version if you can’t find TikTok among the options offered.
- Go to the App Store.
- Find the TikTok app.
If an update is available, the update option will be displayed next to the app icon.
Clear app cache
TikTok app cache enables playback of some videos when played offline. The cache stores temporary data to allow the application to run more efficiently.
However, cached data can get corrupted or take up too much space, often preventing TikTok from loading properly.
The easiest way to solve “TikTok is not working” is to clear the cache data on your phone. However, this simple procedure can easily fix the phone lag, crash or freeze issues.
- Go to “Settings” on your phone.
- Select “TikTok” from the list of available applications displayed. It will open the TikTok app info page.
- Choose “Storage and Cache”.
- Press the “Clear Cache” button to delete the cache.
- Restart the TikTok app to check if it works.
Restart your phone
If the above method does not work, you can restart your phone to remove the error and refresh the CPU. By restarting your phone, it will close all the running programs automatically, and you can do that within 2 minutes in most cases.
Reboot on your Android device
- Find the power button on your phone (usually on one side).
- Hold it down for a few seconds to bring up the Power Menu.
- Select “Reboot” to restart your device immediately.
- Run the TikTok app afterwards to check if it works.
Reboot on iPhone X and later
- Press and hold the “Volume” and “Side” buttons.
- Drag the power off slider and give it 30 seconds.
- Press and hold the Side button to bring your phone back.
Reboot on iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation) 6, 7, 8
- Press and hold the Side button to bring up the power off slider.
- Drag the power off slider and wait 30 seconds.
- Press and hold the Side button while your device is off to turn it back on.
Reboot on older iPhone 5 and older models
- Press and hold the “Top” button to bring up the power disconnect slide.
- Drag the power off slider and wait 30 seconds.
- Press and hold the “Top” button while your device is off to turn it back on.
Uninstall and reinstall the app
If you have been trying to run TikTok with no results, you might consider starting over. This method is most useful when other apps are working perfectly on your phone, but TikTok seems to be a problem.
Sometimes it pays to get a clean start by uninstalling and reinstalling the app. The steps are the same for both Android and iPhone. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Go to the PlayStore or the App Store on your phone.
- Search for “TikTok”.
- Open the app to find options to delete or reinstall.
- Select “Uninstall” to delete the app.
- The application will be deleted immediately.
- Wait a few minutes without moving from the page.
- The Reinstall button will appear.
- Choose “Reinstall”.
- Run the application and log in.
Check your internet connection
TikTok requires a stable internet connection to function properly. Therefore, the app may not work if you are out of coverage or if your phone connection fluctuates regularly. However, you can try to open another app or visit a website using the web browser on your phone to check the strength of the connection.
If it is weak, consider connecting to another network or wait a few minutes before trying to restart the app.
If you don’t select “Allow” in certain permissions like camera, storage, microphone, etc., when you install the app, you may not be able to use TikTok properly when you launch it. This is because it needs access to some of the data on your phone to work efficiently. Here’s how to allow the necessary permissions for TikTok:
- Go to the “Settings” app.
- Select “Apps and notifications”.
- Locate the TikTok app and tap on it.
- Click on the “Permissions” button.
- Allow TikTok more permissions.
- Go to the “Settings” app.
- Click on “Privacy”.
- Check each entry in the list to see if TikTok has permission.
- Enable permissions as necessary.
The app should now work properly if this is the reason why it stopped working.
Check app restrictions
The application restricts users within certain categories from performing certain activities. For example, users under the age of 13 cannot create content or comment on the content of other users. By default, the 13-15 users account is set to private. This means that only their friends can comment on the content they post.
Therefore, you may not be able to use TikTok like many other users if you fall under this category. Unfortunately, if this is the reason why your TikTok is not working properly, you may not be able to fix it until your age restrictions on the platform are gone.
Additional questions and answers
How can I get my TikTok profile back after being banned?
If your TikTok is not working because your profile has been blocked, you can get it back by petitioning TikTok support. Here’s how to do it:
1. Go to the notification icon in your app.
2. Click “Resume”.
3. Enter the required information.
The TikTok support team will review your appeal, and the ban may then be lifted.
How do I contact TikTok about an issue?
If you want to report a problem with your account that you think is the only app support team that can help solve it, it is best to email them. Send your email to [email protected]
Since they receive many messages every day, it may take some time to get a response from the team. Alternatively, you can report a problem by doing the following:
1. Find “Profile” on the top right side of the application screen.
2. Click on the three-line icon in the upper right corner.
3. Choose “Settings & Privacy”.
4. Scroll down to report a problem by choosing from the list provided.
Why can’t I upload videos to TikTok?
TikTok bots frown upon uploading videos that contain watermarks. If you try to upload these videos, you may be blocked with a message telling you that your action is against the terms of the app. Second, the song may be the problem if your upload is blocked even without a watermark. Some artists do not allow unauthorized use of their songs on TikTok.
Also, most users use specific apps to edit their videos before uploading them to TikTok. As a result, some of them may contain hidden watermarks that may lead to bots running on the platform.
Why is my TikTok video not working after sharing?
If the TikTok app stops working after sharing a video, it might be a technical issue. Try clearing the app’s cache data then restarting it to fix it.
Why does my TikTok app crash when I try to open it?
If your app crashes or you get a notification on your phone screen that TikTok has stopped working, this may indicate that the app needs an update. TikTok may also have technical issues. Consider updating the app and allowing permissions to resolve issues.
Make your TikTok work for you
As you can see, there are a lot of reasons why TikTok fails to load, runs slowly, or not at all. But you also have many ways to troubleshoot a “not working” scenario on your own. We hope that the tips in this article will save you the wait for your support ticket to be resolved.
Has your TikTok stopped working on your phone? How did you solve that? Which of the following methods do you find most useful? Tell us in the comment section below.