AirDrop is a feature on Apple devices that allows the sender to send data to another Apple device quickly. As long as the recipient’s device is within range of the sender, AirDrop will work properly. This feature is often used to send photos, screenshots, and other forms of information such as documents, making transfers quick and easy.
Using Bluetooth LE, AirDrop can broadcast, discover and negotiate connections and point-to-point WiFi to transfer your data. This allows all your photos, videos, contacts, etc. to be easily sent to another storage area through a fast and secure connection.
For more help with AirdropCheck out our other articles.
When you use AirDrop to pass data between your iPhone and iPad, you may notice an abundance of other Apple IDs to choose from, which results in your data cluttering. This can become a problem when every device around you has the same default name as “iPhone” or “iPad”.
How to change AirDrop name on your iPhone
AirDrop can be incredibly useful for sharing files between your Apple devices, But that is only if you can distinguish yourself from the many who may share the same WiFi space around you. You will need to change the name to make sure all the files you want to transfer go to the correct device.
You can change your device name in your iPhone settings (Settings > General > About), but you’ll quickly notice that your AirDrop name hasn’t changed. This is because AirDrop works with your contacts. Therefore, you will need to update your contact card instead. Here’s how:
- Open the Dialing app on your iPhone. tap on Contacts At the bottom.
- Tap the contact card at the top.
- In the upper left corner, tap release.
- Type the name you want others to see when AirDrop your files. then press he did in the top right.
Now, when others try to AirDrop something for you, they’ll see the new name you’ve created. You can also add a profile picture to your contact card by clicking Add image.
NB: It may take some time for your device to appear in AirDrop to others after making these changes. If your name does not appear, go to Settings > General > Reset and reset your network setting. Your phone will restart and appear in the sender’s AirDrop list.
To change the name of your iPod classic, iPod nano, or iPod shuffle:
- You will have to connect your iPod, regardless of the version, to your computer.
- Launch iTunes from your computer.
- Locate and tap your device.
- You should now see your device name at the top of the left sidebar. Click on it.
- Type in the new name for your device, which will be used for AirDrop, then tap Enters (Back).
- Your device and iTunes will sync automatically, so the new name you chose for your iPod will now be displayed on your iPod.
How to change the name of AirDrop on your iPad
The process is slightly different if you are using an iPad. Unlike the iPhone, you don’t need to change the contact, but you will need to change the name of your iPad.
Here’s how to change the AirDrop name on your iPad:
- open the Settings on an iPad. Then click general And the Around.
- In the menu panel on the left, click Noun.
- Type the name you want to display in AirDrop and click he did.
Now, when others search for your iPad, they will see the updated name appear in the AirDrop section.
How to change the name of AirDrop on your Mac
If you want to send a document from a smaller Apple product to your iMac or Macbook, you can do so using AirDrop.
If you’ve ever tried to transfer data between mobile devices near your Mac, you might have noticed one device with the display name “Unknown”. This was most likely your Mac.
Before attempting to AirDrop data to and from your Mac, you will first need to provide it with an appropriate name. This will allow you to easily identify it on your local network when you go into the transfer process. The steps to set or change the name of your Mac are as quick and easy as they are on the iPhone, iPad or iPod.
To change your Mac’s name to a more appropriate name:
- While using your Mac, click The Apple icon is in the upper left corner. Then click System Preferences.
- Next, tap to share.
- Type the name you want to use for your computer in “computer name” can.
- To finish, after typing the name, simply close the window.
Now, you’ll easily be able to wirelessly send documents, photos, videos, websites, map locations, and more to any iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or soon other Mac using AirDrop.
This is, of course, as long as you know how to use AirDrop from your Mac. Now, we’ll give you a quick reminder.
The first option is to share content from the Finder. To do this:
- open file discoverer and click Go > AirDrop. It can be found in the menu bar.
- AirDrop can also be found in the sidebar of a file discoverer Window.
- You will see all nearby AirDrop users in the AirDrop window.
- Drag one or more documents, images, or other files to the intended recipient in the window. Then drop them directly into it.
The second option would be to use the share feature:
- Open the photo, document, or file you want to send.
- click Involved Inside your app (this looks like a small box with an arrow pointing up).
- From Involved menu, choose Airdrop Among the many options available.
- Locate and select the recipient from the AirDrop sheet.
- You will need to wait for the other device Acceptance before sending the file.
- Once you have sent the file (or files), tap he did.
Likewise, when someone on the same local network tries to stop AirDrop from some content, it will be up to you to decline or accept their request. This request will appear as a notification as well as within the AirDrop window.
Clicking “Accept” will allow you to To save to downloads or add to a specific folder such as Pictures. All data you receive on Your Mac is automatically saved to the Downloads folder.
What to do if you are unable to see other devices
You now know how to change your device’s name to avoid getting lost among other devices when trying to AirDrop. You even know how to do this on your Mac. But what happens when the device does not appear in the AirDrop window?
If you’re trying to AirDrop content from one device, but the recipient’s device doesn’t show up, you should Make sure WiFi and Bluetooth are turned on on both devices. You will also need both devices Being within 30 feet (9 meters) of each other.
This is usually all that needs to be done, but there are times when the basics won’t fix the problem. We’ll need to fiddle with the device’s settings.
Troubleshooting tips for iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
- Head to Control Center to check AirDrop settings. If you have AirDrop set to receive content from Contacts Only, your iCloud senders and receivers must be signed in. Also, the email address or phone number associated with the sender’s Apple ID must be in the Contacts app on your iOS device.
- If the AirDrop option does not appear for the device, you may need to change from “Contacts Only” to “Everyone” to be discoverable.
- Turn off Personal Hotspot when trying to use AirDrop. You can turn it off by going to Settings > Cellular The recipient’s iOS device.
Fix the problem on a Mac:
- Make sure AirDrop is turned on by going to Finder and clicking Go > AirDrop from the menu bar.
- Select the Allow me to be discovered by setting at the bottom of the AirDrop window.
- Older Macs (2012 or earlier) should click “Don’t see who you’re looking for?” In the AirDrop window or Share Sheet on your Mac. Proceed with this by clicking on “Find an Older Mac”.
- If the receiving Mac is using OS X Mavericks or earlier, be sure to open an AirDrop window on that Mac: Choose: Go > AirDrop From the menu bar in the Finder.
- Make sure “Block all incoming connections” is turned off in the Security & Privacy preferences of the receiving Mac.
Frequently Asked Questions
As you can see, changing the name of your device is very simple. But, if you have more questions, keep reading.
My device name has not been updated. what is wrong?
If you updated your device name using the instructions above, but it doesn’t show up right away, turn off your phone and then turn it back on again. Assuming you have verified that the name change was done using the above methods, this will fix the problem.
Another reason your device name may not appear correctly is that the transmitter is already listed in your contacts. For example, if you’re using a work phone and that’s listed in the contacts on the receiver, you might see the contact as a “work phone.”
How close is it to the other device to send something via AirDrop?
Your device relies on Bluetooth to send data via AirDrop. This means that the transmitters and receivers must be within 30 feet of each other.